recent posts

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Chocolate Dulce de Leche Macarons



makes 2 dozen macarons
macaron recipe adapated from
David Lebovitz

prep time: 35 min / cook time: 15-18 min

INGREDIENTS
1 c powdered sugar
1/2 c
almond powder/meal
3 tbsp unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
2 large egg whites, room temperature
5 tbsp granulated sugar
1 c dulce de leche
* I used Farmhouse La Salamandra

INSTRUCTIONS
• Preheat oven to 350˚F.

• Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
• Have a pastry bag with a plain tip (about 1/2 inch) ready.
* I used Ateco Plain Tip #806.
• In a blender or food processor, grind together the powdered sugar, almond powder/meal and cocoa so there are no lumps.
• In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they begin to rise and hold their shape.
• While whipping, beat in the granulated sugar until very stiff and firm, about 2 minutes.
• Carefully fold the dry ingredients, in two batches, into the beaten egg whites with a flexible rubber spatula.
• When the mixture is just smooth and there are no streaks of egg whites, stop folding and scrape the batter into the pastry bag.
* Standing the bag in a tall glass helps if you're alone.
• Pipe the batter on the parchment-lined baking sheets in 1 inch circles (about 1 tablespoon each of batter), evenly spaced 1 inch apart.
* I piped out my macarons into 1 1/2 inch circles.
• Dust cocoa on top of each macaron.
• Rap the baking sheet a few times firmly on the counter top to flatten the macarons.
• Bake for 15-18 minutes.
• Let cool completely then remove from baking sheet.

ASSEMBLY
• Pair up macarons that are the same size.
• Spread dulce de leche on one side of the macaron and then sandwich them together.

* You can pipe out the filling if you prefer.


** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• To help keep your macarons a consistent size, you can create a template on the computer and slip it under the parchment paper or draw out circles on the underside of the parchment in pencil.
• This recipe did not use aged egg whites like most macaron recipes.
• I stacked two baking sheets when baking the macarons.
• If the macarons stick to the parchment paper after they have cooled, put a little bit of water between the baking sheet and parchment paper to help them come off more easily.
• Let macarons come to room temperature before serving. This doesn't take long, about 5 minutes.

Macarons can be stored up to 5 days in an airtight container.

ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING

ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum! I have yet to conquer the consistency of making macaroons.
Participate in my giveaway at http://atasteofkoko.blogspot.com/2010/05/men-can-cook-feat-classic-spaghetti.html

Anonymous said...

Too difficult to make. Make me some. :D

M. said...

your macarons look gorgeous, I bet they tasted great as well :)

Kat said...

I've read other tutorials on macarons and they recommend 300F for 18-20 mins - did the 350F work well? I'm running into the underbaking/overbaking problem, which is hilarious after I solved the underwhipping/overwhipping problem. Any suggestions would be great! These look delicious.

Sami and Addie said...

@Jane: the consistency should be like "lava"

@Ben: hardy har har

@M: Thank you, they are super duper tasty!

@Kat: 350F worked well for this recipe, but it would probably depend on your oven. I did alter this recipe with other flavors and found that it browned the tops a bit, so I'm trying to figure out the temperature for non-chocolate macarons. Keep reading, other macarons flavors to come!

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you're not a seasoned pastry chef?

Sami and Addie said...

Thank you for the compliment Lisa! I wish I was a pastry chef, maybe in another life.

Unknown said...

These look lovely! You make me want to make some.

Post a Comment

 
Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.