makes one 9" cake (recipe does not include fondant or sugar-paste tutorial)
cake recipe adapted from cooks.com
frosting recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
prep time: 45 min / cook time: 40-45 min
WALDORF ASTORIA RED VELVET CAKE
1/2 c shortening
* I used 1/2 c of salted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
2 oz. red food coloring (two 1 oz. bottles)
1 tsp cocoa
* I used 1 tbsp unsweetened dutch processed cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 c flour
1 tsp salt
* I omitted the salt
1 tsp vinegar
1 c buttermilk
SHINY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
12 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
6 tbs unsalted butter, room temperature
3 c confectioners' sugar
* I used 2 cups
• Preheat oven to 350˚F degrees. Set aside.
• Grease two 9" pans.
• Cream sugar, eggs and shortening.
• Make a paste of food coloring and cocoa.
• Add to mixture; add flour with salt alternately with buttermilk.
• Add vanilla.
• Fold in vinegar and baking soda mixture.
• Bake for 30 minutes.
• In the bowl of an electric mixture fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese on medium-low speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
• Add butter, and cream until smooth, about 2 minutes.
• Add confectioners' sugar on low speed and mix until completely combined.
• Beat frosting on medium speed until smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute.
• Transfer to an airtight container and chill until firm, 3 hours or overnight.
• Level cake layers and brush off crumbs.
• Place frosting between layers of cake. Push cake down lightly to release extra frosting.
• Cover cake and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
* Covering the cake will help it not dry out.
• Remove the cake from the refrigerator and add a thin layer of frosting around the cake.
• Refrigerate for an hour and add final layer of frosting.
A special thank you to Dave P. for helping me with this beautiful wedding cake.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTE **
• Using good cocoa helps elevate the taste of the cake. I used Pernigotti unsweetened cocoa powder. It's a bit more expensive than other cocoa powders, but makes a world of difference in the taste.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING