make 8 rolls
recipe adapted from Epicurean Escapism
prep time: 45 min / cook time: 20 min
2 3/4 c all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
2 tbsp sugar
* For a slightly sweeter dough, I'd add a 1 or 2 tbsp more sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 c buttermilk
6 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
3/4 c powdered sugar
2 tbsp water
* I used 2 tbsp low-fat milk
1 oz. cream cheese, softened
* I would change this to 2 oz. of cream cheese
• Preheat the oven to 425˚ F.
• In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients for the dough (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt).
• Stir in the butter and buttermilk.
• At this point, the dough will be sticky, so spoon it out on top of a heavily floured surface and add a bit more flour to the top.
• With floured hands, gently knead the flour into the dough (adding more flour if necessary) until the dough is manageable and is fairly smooth.
* Be careful to not over knead the dough.
• With a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a rectangle/square of approximately 1/2 inch thick.
* I rolled it out to approximately 16x12.
• Spread the surface of the dough with 2 tbsp of melted butter, then sprinkle on the cinnamon and sugar.
• Roll the dough from the longer side and cut the dough to about 2 inches thick.
• Place the rolls in a lightly greased pan and bake for 20 minutes or until the edges have turned golden brown.
* I didn't grease the pan and they came out of the baking pan just fine.
• Mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk (or water).
• Pour onto the rolls while they're still hot.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• I didn't find the dough or filling to have the right amount of sweetness, so if you don't like overly sweet breakfast food, this is a really good recipe.
• For the filling, I would consider putting some light brown sugar.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING