makes 16 cupcakes
recipe adapted from Ina Garten
prep time: 45 min / cook time: 22-32 min
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
* I omitted the salt since I used salted butter
1 c sugar
3/4 c unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), room temperature
* I used salted butter
3 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 tsp pure almond extract
1/2 c buttermilk
1 1/2 c flaked sweetened coconut
GUAVA FILLING INGREDIENTS
2 tbsp guava fruit spread
3 tbsp guava nectar
GUAVA CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 c unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 c powdered sugar, sifted
* I used 2 cups
3 tbsp guava fruit spread
• Preheat oven to 325˚ F.
• In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
• With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
• Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.
• In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
• In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermil to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined.
• Fold in coconut.
• Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each linter to the top with batter.
• Bake for 22-32 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
• Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.
GUAVA FILLING INSTRUCTIONS
• In a bowl, mix guava fruit spread and guava nectar.
* Add more guava nectar if you want a looser consistency.
GUAVA CREAM CHEESE FROSTING INSTRUCTIONS
• In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed, cream together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract.
• Add the confectioners' sugar.
• Add the guava fruit spread and mix until smooth.
• Using a paring knife, carve a small hole in the middle of the cupcake. Be sure not to cut too deep.
* You can use a spoon to gently remove more of the cupcake if needed.
• Spoon in a bit of the guava filling into the cupcake.
• Put the top back onto the cupcake and frost the top.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• These cupcakes will rise quite a bit and will stick to the cupcake pan. I recommend filling it no more than 3/4 full.
• If you do not like a heavy almond flavor, add less almond extract to the cupcake mixture.
• The texture of the cupcake is more like a dense teacake.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING