makes 8 hand pies
recipe adapted from The Honolulu Star Bulletin
prep time: 1 hr / cook time: 20 min
1 can coconut milk (13.5 oz. can)
1/3 c heavy cream
6 tbsp sugar
* Add 1 or 2 tbsp more if you like it sweeter
1/4 c cornstarch
1 box pie crust
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp water
• Combine coconut milk, heavy cream and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat.
• In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with a bit of the coconut milk mixture to make a paste.
• Stir the paste into the saucepan of coconut milk mixture.
• Continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
• When the mixture is thick, set aside and let cool about 30 minutes.
• In a small bowl, mix the egg yolk and water. Set aside.
• Preheat oven to 375˚F.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• On a floured surface, roll out the pie crust to about 1/8 inch thick.
• Cut out 5 1/2 inch squares from the pie crust.
• Fill each square with haupia filling, leaving about a 1/2 inch border on the 3 sealing edges.
• Lightly brush the egg wash on the edges and fold the crust in half. Using the tines of a fork, crimp the edges.
• Using a knife, put a few slits on the top of the pie.
• Place on prepared baking sheet.
• Brush the top of each pie with the egg wash.
• Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
• Remove the pie from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• I tried out the Trader Joe's and Pillbury brand pie crust. If you like a less buttery and sturdier pie crust, the Pillbury brand is recommended. If you like a buttery and flakier pie crust, use the Trader Joe's brand.
• Keep the dough chilled in the refrigerator before rolling out. This helps to keep the crust from softening up too quickly.
• Do not attempt to eat the pies right out of the oven. The filling is extremely hot!
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING