makes 1 roll
recipe adapted from VeryBestBaking.com
prep time: 45 min / cook time: 13-15 min
3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 c sugar
1 c chopped walnuts (optional)
* I used 1/4 c chopped pecans
8 oz. cream cheese, softened (1 package)
1 c powdered sugar, sifted
6 tbsp butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
• Preheat oven to 375˚ F.
• Grease 15x10" jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper.
• Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a small bowl.
• Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick.
• Beat in pumpkin purée.
• Stir in flour mixture.
• Spread evenly into prepared pan.
• Sprinkled with nuts.
• Bake for 13-15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched.
* If using a dark-colored pan, begin checking for doneness at 11 minutes.
• While waiting for the cake to finish baking, prepare tea towel. Sprinkle 1/4 c powdered sugar onto the flattened towel.
• Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel.
• Carefully peel off wax paper.
• Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end.
* Do not roll up the cake too tight or the filling will ooze out.
• Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
• Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract until smooth.
• Carefully unroll cake.
• Spread filling over cake.
• Re-roll cake.
• Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
• Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• If you do not have a tea towel, paper towels work just as well . . . better actually because you don't need to wash a sticky towel in the washer!
• Be sure to put enough powdered sugar on the towel when rolling up the cake so it will not stick.
• Instead of folding in the dry ingredients, I used one bowl for everything. Mixed dry ingredients, added eggs and sugar, then beat in pumpkin purée.
• Be sure to not spread the filling all the way to the end of the cake. Leave some room for the filling to spread or else it will ooze out.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING