makes 12 cream puffs
recipe adapted from bettycrocker.com
prep time: 25 min / cook time: 35-40 min
CREAM PUFF (Pâte à choux) INGREDIENTS
1 c water
1/2 c unsalted butter
1 c all-purpose flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
4 eggs, room temperature
EGGNOG CREAM INGREDIENTS
1 small box of vanilla instant pudding
1 c milk
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* I used freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp rum extract
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 c heavy whipping cream
CREAM PUFF INSTRUCTIONS
• Heat oven to 400˚ F.
• In a saucepan, heat water and butter to rolling boil.
• Stir in flour and cocoa. Stir vigorously over low heat about 1 minute or until mixture forms a ball; remove from heat.
• Stir in eggs one at a time until smooth.
• Drop dough by scant 1/4 cupfuls about 3 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
• Bake 35-34 minutes or until puffed. Cool away from draft.
EGGNOG CREAM INSTRUCTIONS
• In a large bowl, beat all Eggnog Cream ingredients except heavy cream with electric mixer on low speed 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
• Add heavy cream.
• Beat on high speed 1-2 minutes or until soft peaks form.
* I don't like the cream runny, so I beat until stiff peaks.
• Cut off tops of cooled puffs.
• Fill puffs with Eggnog Cream; replace tops.
* Optional: Sprinkle powdered sugar.
• Serve immediately or store covered in refrigerator.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• I piped out the cream puffs onto parchment paper.
• To keep the sizes consistent, I draw 2 1/2" circles on the back side of the parchment paper.
• If you make smaller cream puffs, adjust the baking time accordingly.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING