makes one 13x9 pan
recipe adapted from Little Chef and I
prep time: 45 min / cook time: 30 min
3 c all-purpose flour
1 c sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 c sour cream
1/2 c milk
8 tbsp unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and slightly cooled
2 c apples, peeled, cored and chopped (approximately 2 apples)
* Granny Smith is recommended
1 c light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 c all-purpose flour
6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup chopped walnuts
* I don't like walnuts, so I omitted this
1 tsp cinnamon
• Preheat oven to 400˚F.
• Butter a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan and set aside.
* I used two 9 1/2 inch round cake pans.
• In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
• In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs just until the egg yolks are combined.
• Add the sour cream, milk and melted butter to the whisked egg. Mix well.
• Add the egg mixture to the flour and mix until just moistened.
• Peel, core and cut the apples.
• Add the cut apples to the mixture. Mix well.
• Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan(s).
• In a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the topping except the butter. Mix until well combined.
• Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
* If you omit the walnuts, the mixture will not be coarse.
• Sprinkle the streusel topping over the batter.
• Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the tester comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
• Let cool in the pan on the rack for 20 minutes.
• Drizzle caramel sauce over the top of finished cake.
* If the caramel sauce is too thick, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING