makes 4 cups
recipe adapted from eating out loud
prep time: 25 min
4 c English or Persian cucumbers, cubed
* I sliced mines
2 tsp salt
1/2 c rice vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp mirin
Pinch of red pepper flakes
* I thinly sliced a red pepper
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
* I omitted this
• Chop cucumbers into cubes about 1/2-3/4" thick. If you opt to slice the cucumbers, use a mandoline for even slices.
• Place cucumbers into a bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Toss the cucumbers to fully coat and let sit for 15 minutes.
* The salt will season the cucumbers, but also draw out some of the water.
• After 15 minutes, thoroughly rinse the cucumbers and drain. Make sure to rinse out the bowl before returning the cucumbers.
• Combine the vinegar, sugar, mirin and red pepper flakes into a small bowl and stir until sugar dissolves.
• Pour the mixture over the cucumbers.
• Press the cucumbers down into the liquid so they are covered as much as possible. Refrigerate for 8-12 hours.
• Before serving, drain the liquid and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING