makes 12 cupcakes
prep time: 45 min / cook time: 18-20 min
UBE CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS
6 tbsp ube powder
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter (1/2 stick), melted and cooled
1/2 c milk, room temperature
2 tbsp coconut milk
1 large egg, room temperature and lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
10 drops red food coloring
5 drops blue food coloring
3/4 c boiling water
COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 c heavy whipping cream
1/2 c coconut milk
1/3 c sugar
COCONUT CARAMEL FILLING INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 c coconut whipped cream, taken from the frosting recipe above
3 tbsp fleur de sel caramel
* This can be omitted, I had some left over from a previous recipe
1-2 tbsp sweetened shredded coconut
UBE CUPCAKE INSTRUCTIONS
• Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350˚ F.
• Combine ube powder, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
• Add butter, milk, coconut milk, egg, vanilla and food coloring. Mix at medium speed for 2 minutes.
• Add boiling water and beat to combine.
• Evenly divide the batter into each cupcake tin and bake for 18-20 minutes.
• Let cool before assembly.
COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING INSTRUCTIONS
• Whip cream and coconut milk until it looks like whipped cream.
• Mix in sugar.
COCONUT CARAMEL FILLING INSTRUCTION
• In a bowl, mix coconut whipped cream, fleur de sel caramel and sweetened shredded coconut.
• Using a paring knife, carve a small hole in the middle of the cupcake. Be sure not to cut too deep.
* Use a spoon to gently remove more cupcake if needed.
• Using your favorite pastry tip, fill your pastry bag and pipe a small amount of coconut caramel filling into the cupcake.
• Put the top back onto the cupcake and frost the top with the coconut whipped cream frosting.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• My first batch baked blue. Yes, blue! I added the food coloring to help retain the purple color.
• You can substitute the ube powder for ube paste or ube extract. Unfortunately, I haven't tested the recipe with either of those ingredients so I'm not sure how much to add.
• If you have coconut cream, you can substitute it for the coconut milk for a more stable and stiff whipped frosting.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING