makes 42 regular cupcakes or 130 mini cupcakes
cupcake recipe adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes (page 121)
buttercream recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
prep time: 1 hr 30 min / cook time: 12-14 min
MARTHA'S MEYER LEMON CUPCAKES
* these are denser than cupcakes, more like tea cakes
3 1/2 c all-purpose flour, sifted
2 tbsp finely grated Meyer lemon zest
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
* I omitted the salt
1 3/4 c (3 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
* I used salted butter
3 c granulated sugar
8 oz. (1 brick) cream cheese, room temperature
7 large eggs, room temperature
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (from 1 to 2 Meyer lemons)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
VANILLA BEAN BUTTERCREAM
* I doubled this recipe for the lemon cupcakes
2 c (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
3 1/2 c confectioners' sugar, sifted
Pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean, scraped
* I opted not to use the vanilla bean
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 c milk
MEYER LEMON CUPCAKE INSTRUCTIONS
• Preheat the oven to 325˚F.
• Line muffin ins with paper liners.
• Whisk together flour, zest, baking powder and salt.
• With an electric mixture on medium-high speed, cream butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy.
• Beat in cream cheese. Reduce speed to low.
• Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
• Beat in lemon juice and vanilla.
• Add flour mixture in three batches, beating until just combined after each.
• Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full.
* I did not want a domed top, so I filled mines half full.
• Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 28 minutes.
* For mini cupcakes, it will take 12-14 minutes.
• Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.
VANILLA BEAN BUTTERCREAM INSTRUCTIONS
• In the bowl of an electric mixure fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter
• Slowly add confectioners' sugar; beat to combine, scraping down sides of
bowl as necessary.
• Add vanilla bean seeds and vanilla extract, and beat to combine.
• Slowly add milk and continue beating on medium-low speed until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes.
CHOCOLATE SHAPES INSTRUCTIONS
• Create a template, place on cookie sheet and place wax paper over it.
• In microwave-safe container or disposable decorating bag, microwave candy melts at half power or defrost setting for 1 minute. Stir thoroughly.
• Continue to microwave and stir at 30 second intervals until smooth and completely melted. If using disposable decorating bag, knead bag between heating intervals.
• If using microwave-safe container, pour into a decorating bag, snip off end and draw shapes over wax paper.
* Chocolate can be re-melted and reused.
• Put cookie sheet with chocolate shapes in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes.
Unfrosted cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.
Chocolate shapes can be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• Cutting the cupcake recipe in half seems to give you dry cupcakes, but I have
no idea why.
• Do not make buttercream frosting the day before to save time. You will need to re-whip the frosting and it will not be as smooth.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING