makes 35 cookies
recipe from Odense
prep time: 15 min / cook time: 16 min
1/2 c egg whites, room temperature
* approximately 3 eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 box Odense Almond Paste, grated
2 c powdered sugar
14 oz. package sweetened flaked coconuts
2 c chocolate
* I used E. Guittard Bittersweet Chocolate
COCONUT MACAROON INSTRUCTIONS
• Preheat oven to 325˚F.
• Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
• In a large bowl beat egg whites and extract until firm, but not dry.
* I have no idea what "firm, but not dry" means, so I just beat it until it was almost at stiff peaks.
• In a separate bowl beat almond paste, sugar and coconut until the texture of small crumbs.
• Gently fold mixtures together.
• Drop tablespoons of dough 1 inch apart onto cookie sheets (small ice cream scoop with a wire release works well).
* I made my cookies about the size of a golf ball.
• Bake for 16 minutes, or until lightly browned on bottom and firm to the touch.
* I baked mines for 24 minutes.
• Cool cookies on a wire rack.
• Have cookie sheet with parchment paper prepared.
• Melt chocolate in a double boiler.
• Dip the bottom of the coconut almond macaroons into the melted chocolate and place onto the cookie sheet.
• Drizzle left over chocolate with a spoon/fork over the macaroons.
• Refrigerate to set chocolate.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• Crumble the almond paste with your fingers if you don't have a grater.
• The size of your cookie will change the baking time, so adjust accordingly.
• Rotate your cookie sheet half way through for even browning.
• The cookies are still soft as they come out of the oven, so let the cookies cool for 5-10 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring onto a wire rack.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING