makes 7 cups
recipe adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
prep time: 40 min / cook time: 5 min
* I used organic meyer lemons . . . THANK YOU MISS JEANNE!
1 bottle of Vodka (750mL)
3 1/2 c water
2 1/2 c sugar
• Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the lemons in long strips.
• Using a small sharp knife, trim away the white pith from the lemon peels; discard the pith.
• Place the lemon peels in a 2 quart pitcher.
* I didn't have a pitcher, so I used a small container and transferred it into a large dish.
• Pour the vodka over the peels and cover with plastic wrap.
• Steep the lemon peels in the vodka for 4 days at room temperature.
• After 4 days, stir the water and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Cool completely.
• Pour the sugar syrup over the vodka mixture. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.
• Strain the limoncello through a mesh strainer. Discard the peels.
• Transfer the limoncello to bottles. Seal the bottles and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours and up to 1 month.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• If you are not using organic lemons, be sure to scrub the lemons well to get as much of the wax off as possible.
• This recipe can be used with different citrus fruits such as oranges, limes or tangelos.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING