recipe adapted from bake at 350
prep time: 20 min / cook time: 15 min
1 sheet Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry, thawed
1 1/2 c chocolate chips, divided
* I used E. Guittard Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped
1/2 c Nutella
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp slivered almonds
1 tbsp shortening
* I used butter instead of shortening
• Preheat oven to 400˚F.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• Stir together 1 cup chocolate chips with the Nutella.
• On a floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a 12x12 inch square. Use a pizza cutter to cut into 9 squares.
* I was able to cut 12 squares out of one sheet of puff pastry.
• With a fork, whisk together the egg and water. Using your finger, apply the egg wash to 2 adjacent sides of each square.
• Add 1 heaping tablespoon of the chocolate/Nutella mixture to the middle of each square.
• Fold over to make triangles and press to seal edges.
• Brush the top of each turnover with egg wash.
• Sprinkle the tops with slivered almonds.
• Bake for 15 minutes.
• Meanwhile, melt the reserved 1/2 cup chocolate chips and the shortening (or butter) in the microwave on 50% power in 30-second intervals. Stir after each interval until melted. Set aside.
• Remove the turnover from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
• Spoon the melted chocolate into a quart-sized freezer baggie (a storage baggie might burst) and snip a hole in one corner. Squeeze over the turnovers in a decorative pattern.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• Thaw puff pastry in the refrigerator for even thawing.
• The filling will burst at the seams if they are overfilled.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING