prep time: 15 min / total cook time: 1 hr
* these come in a variety of sizes and shapes, see picture above
4 c uncooked short grained rice
2 sheets nori, cut into strips
4 c shoyu
2 c mirin (sweet cooking wine)
• Cook rice.
• Mix shoyu and mirin in a bowl, set aside.
* If you want your marinade to be sweeter, add a teaspoon of sugar.
• Tightly pack rice into the onigiri mold.
• Heat non-stick pan until hot. Place molded rice onto the pan until it gets a lightly crispy skin, then flip to crisp the other side.
* A cast iron pan or grill would work better. Be sure to lightly oil the cast iron so the rice doesn't stick.
• While crisping the back side, brush the marinade onto the newly formed skin. Flip and repeat two to three times on each side, depending on how flavorful you want your rice ball to be.
• When the yaki onigri is crispy and brown, remove and let it cool slightly.
• Wrap each yaki onigiri with a strip of nori.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• Yaki onigiri can be filled with various fillings such as salmon, tuna, pickled daikon, even Spam!
• You can add flavor to the rice by adding furikake before molding.