makes 12 cupcakes
cupcake recipe adapted from Evil Shenanigans
frosting recipe adapted from the Cupcake Project
prep time: 25 min / cook time: 15 min
DARK CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS
3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c sugar
1/3 c Dutch-processed cocoa powder
* I used E. Guittard Cocoa Rouge Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
4 tbsp butter, melted
1/3 c buttermilk
1 large egg + 1 egg white, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp strong coffee (1tbsp instant coffee w/3 tbsp hot water)
* coffee is optional
12 chocolate wafter cookies
* I used Loacker Quadratini brand
6 kit kats, cut in half
BLUEBERRY WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING INGREDIENTS
1 c heavy whipping cream
1/3 c sugar
6 tbsp blueberry purée (take some fresh blueberries, wash them and throw them in the food processor until it becomes a thick liquid. If needed, put the purée through a sieve)
CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE INSTRUCTIONS
• Preheat oven at 350˚ F.
• Line cupcake tin with 12 liners.
• Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and cocoa powder. Mix well.
• Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the melted butter, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and coffee.
• Blend until there are only a few small lumps left.
• Evenly divide the batter into each cupcake tin.
• Place one wafer cookie into the middle of the batter and gently push down.
• Bake for 15 minutes or until the centers spring back when lightly pressed.
• Cool for 3 minutes in the pan before removing the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
STRAWBERRY FROSTING INSTRUCTIONS
• Whip cream until it looks like whipped cream.
• Mix in sugar.
• Mix in strawberries until combined.
• Using your favorite pastry tip, fill your pastry bag and pipe frosting onto the tops of each cupcake.
• Place one half of a kit kat into the frosting.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• After pushing the wafer cookie into the batter, I used a spoon to cover the tops with more batter so that the cookie is not exposed while baking.
• If you'd like your blueberry whipped cream to be stiffer, add a stabilizer such as Dr. Oetker's Whip it.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING