recipe adapted from Donna Hay
total prep time: 40 min
1 1/2 c raspberries
* I used 1 c raspberries
0-2 tbsp powdered sugar, to taste
3 eggs, room temperature
2 egg yolks, room temperature
* I used 3 yolks
1 vanilla bean, scraped and removed from pod
* Can substitute with 1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c superfine sugar
* I used 3/4 c
1 3/4 c whipping cream
* I used 2 c
1/3 c slivered almonds, toasted
1/3 c chocolate, melted
* See note below
• Place raspberries and powdered sugar in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Strain to separate from raspberry seeds. Set purée aside.
* Adjust powdered sugar to taste.
• Place eggs, yolks, scrapped vanilla bean and sugar in a heatproof bowl. Place over a saucepan of simmering water and whisk with a hand-held beater for 4-5 minutes or until heated, thick and pale.
* I whisked this by hand, approximately 10 minutes.
• Remove from heat and whisk until cooled.
• In a separate bowl, whisk the cream until stiff peaks form.
* I used an electric mixer with the whisk attachment. (Yes, I over whisked the cream once again)
• Gently fold the egg mixture into the cream until just combined.
• Prepare a 250mL capacity bowl or pan with plastic wrap.
* I skipped this. This will be good if you want to slice your semifreddo for easy release from the pan.
• Melt chocolate in the microwave on very low heat or in a double boiler over the strove.
• Pour the egg and cream mixture into the prepared container.
• Spoon the raspberry purée, melted chocolate and toasted almonds over the top. Fold it through the cream mixture with a spatula for a swirled effect.
• Freeze for 4-6 hours or until firm. Let semifreddo soften a bit before serving.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• I found the chocolate did not soften very well, so if you like more chunky chocolate, follow the recipe as is. If you like flecks of chocolate, shave the chocolate into the semifreddo.
• I layered the "filling" into the egg cream mixture with the hopes of having everything evenly distributed.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING