make 6 small pancakes
recipe adapted from Food Network
prep time: 35 min / cook time: 36-46 min
SCALLION PANCAKES INGREDIENTS
2 c all-purpose flour
1 c boiling water
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 c scallions, sliced
1/2 c vegetable oil
SPICY GINGER DIPPING SAUCE INGREDIENTS
1/2 c light soy sauce
1/4 c rice vinegar
1/4 c scallions
1 tsp ginger, finely minced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp sugar
SCALLION PANCAKE INSTRUCTIONS
• Add flour, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
• In a steady stream, add water, mixing with a wooden spoon or hands until a ball is formed. Dough should be silky to the touch, not sticky.
* If the dough is still sticky, add more flour a tsp at a time. If the dough is dry, add more boiling water a tsp at a time.
• Let dough rest for 30 minutes, covered with a damp cloth.
• Separate into 6 pieces, flour work area and roll each piece to 1/8" thickness.
• Spread thin layer of oil on pancake and add 1-2 tbsp of scallions.
• Roll into a cigar, then curl into a pinwheel, pinching ends to keep together.
• Flatten with palm of hand, then roll into 1/8" thickness.
• Heat 1-2 tbsp oil on flat pan on medium heat until hot.
• Set pancake and fly each side for 3-4 minutes until each side is golden and crisp. Flip and add more oil if needed.
• Cut into wedges and serve immediately with dipping sauce.
SPICY GINGER DIPPING SAUCE
• Combine all ingredients in a bowl
**ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• I found tucking the ends on the bottom of the pancake worked better than pinching the ends.
• I had a hard time getting the pancakes to 1/8" thickness . . . finely slicing the scallions might help.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING