makes 12 cupcakes
cupcake recipe adapted from Hershey's Kitchen
frosting recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
prep time: 25 min / cook time: 18-20 min
CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS
6 tbsp cocoa powder
* I used Pernigotti Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter (1/2 stick), melted and cooled
1/2 c milk, room temperature
1 large egg, room temperature and lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c boiling water
LEMON MASCARPONE FROSTING INGREDIENTS
1 c heavy cream
8 oz. mascarpone cheese, room temperature
4 tbsp lemon curd
1/2 c confectioners' sugar, sifted
CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE INSTRUCTIONS
• Combine cocoa powder, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
• Add butter, milk, egg and vanilla. Mix at medium speed for 2 minutes.
• Add boiling water and beat to combine.
* Batter will be thin.
• Evenly divide the batter into each cupcake tin and bake for 18-20 minutes.
• Cool completely before frosting.
LEMON MASCARPONE FROSTING INSTRUCTIONS
• With an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
* Be careful not to over beat or cream will be grainy.
• In another bowl, whisk together mascarpone, lemon curd and confectioners' sugar until smooth.
• Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture until completely incorporated.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• If you want a more lemony flavor, you can add some lemon zest into the frosting.
• If the frosting is too loose, refrigerate it for about an hour to let it set.
• If the frosting is too thick, add milk one tbsp at a time.