makes 6 servings
crème brûlée recipe adapted from Mark Bittman (NY Times)
syrup recipe adapted from cdkitchen
prep time: 25 min / cook time: 30 min
COCONUT SYRUP INGREDIENTS
1 can coconut milk
1/4 c confectioners' sugar
1/3 c sweetened shredded coconut
CREME BRULEE INGREDIENTS
ingredients can be found here
* You will not need the tubinado sugar
COCONUT SYRUP INSTRUCTIONS
• In a medium saucepan, mix the coconut milk with the sugar and bring to a boil.
• Add shredded coconuts.
• Reduce heat and simmer until reduce to 1 1/2 cups of syrup, about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
• Cool syrup to lukewarm and serve or refrigerate until cold and serve.
CREME BRULEE INSTRUCTIONS
• Instructions can be found here.
• Transfer your crème brûlée into a shallow dish and give it a quick whisk.
* The mixture will have thickened overnight.
• With a paring knife, make a few slits on both sides of the croissant so that it will soak up more liquid.
• Place your croissants into the mixture and allow it to soak on each side for a few minutes.
* I double soaked it, soaking each side twice.
• As your croissant is soaking, prepare your pan. Place some butter into your skillet and let it melt over med-low heat.
• Place your soaked croissant into your prepared pan and let it cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
* Optional: dust with powdered sugar and garnish with fresh fruit.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• The crème brûlée can be made the night before and refrigerated.
• Do not soak more croissants than you can cook at one time. If you let your croissants sit in your mixture too long, it starts to soften and will fall apart.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING