makes one 9" cake
cake recipe adapted from nigella.com
total prep time: 1 hr / cook time: 45-60 min
3/4 c sour cream
2 eggs, room temperature
pinch of salt
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 c Guinness Stout
1/2 c plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
2 c granulated sugar
2 c all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE INGREDIENTS
1 small box of chocolate instant pudding
1 c milk
1/2 tsp espresso powder
2 c heavy whipping cream
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM INGREDIENTS
1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 c confectioners' sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp espresso powder
1/8 c milk
• Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
• LIne and butter a 9" spring form pan.
• Pour the Guinness into a large wide saucepan. Add butter in spoons or slices, heat until the butter is melted. Remove from the heat.
• Whisk in cocoa powder and sugar.
• Beat the sour cream, eggs, salt and vanilla and pour into beer mixture.
* I just whisked this in a bowl.
• Whisk in the flour and baking soda.
• Pour the cake batter into the greased and lined tin. Bake for 45-60 minutes.
• Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack.
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE INSTRUCTIONS
• In a large bowl, whisk pudding, espresso and milk with electric mixer on low speed 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
• Add heavy cream.
• Beat on high speed 1-2 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
• Chill in refrigerator for at least an hour.
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM INSTRUCTIONS
• In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until creamy.
• Sift confectioners' sugar, cocoa and espresso powder to butter mixture and beat.
• Slowly pour in milk.
* You may use more or less milk, depending on the consistency you are looking for.
• If the top of the cake crowned (like mines), use a long serrated knife and with a gentle sawing motion, even it out.
• Place one layer right-side up on a cardboard round or a cake plate protected with strips of wax or parchment paper.
• Smooth the chilled mousse over the cake.
• Position the top layer of the cake over the mousse and gently press down.
• Using an offset spatula, fill in and smooth the mousse on the side of the cake.
* Optional: decorate with cigarette cookies, shaved chocolate or cocoa powder.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• The cake needs to be refrigerated for at least two hour to let the mousse set.
• If you add cigarette cookies to the sides, they won't be as crunchy the next day. So if you make the cake ahead of time, add the cookies the day you play to eat it.
• I thought the buttercream was a bit too sweet, so you might consider a whipped cream frosting or putting some of the mousse filling on the top.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING