recipe adapted from Real Simple
prep time: 35 min / cook time: 20-25 min
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 yellow onion, diced
* I used a whole small onion
1 tbsp flour
3/4 c low-sodium chicken broth
* I used 2/3 c because I don't like the filling to be too soupy
1 10 oz. box frozen peas and carrots
* I used half a bag of frozen mixed vegetables
1 3-4 lb. rotisserie chicken, meat shredded
* I cubed my chicken
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 sheet puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
• Preheat oven to 400˚F.
• Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
• Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
• Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
• Still stirring, slowly add the broth. Cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.
• Add frozen vegetables, chicken, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
• Fill oven-proof ramekins and place on cookie sheet.
• In a small bowl, whisk the egg and put aside.
• Cut puff pastry sheet into squares to cover the tops of the ramekins. Puff pastry should be large enough to drape over the sides.
• Lightly brush the edge of the ramekin so that the puff pastry will stick.
• Place puff pastry over the top of each ramekin and gently press the edges to stick.
• Brush the tops of the puff pastry.
• Bake until golden, 20-25 minutes.
• When baking is done, let it stand for 10 minutes.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• If you want to add a little more flavor to the puff pastry, simply add some herbs or green onions to the top or roll it into the pastry.
• This recipe also works great with turkey.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING