makes 14 whoopie pies
recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
prep time: 45 min / cook time: 7-9 min
2 c all-purpose flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c butter, softened
1 c packed brown sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c buttermilk
2 tbsp red food coloring (one 1 oz. bottle)
1/4 c unsalted butter, softened
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
7 oz. marshmallow creme
• Preheat oven to 375˚F.
• Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
• In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
• In large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium to high for 30 seconds.
• Beat in brown sugar until light and fluffy.
• Beat in egg and vanilla.
• Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined.
• Stir in food coloring.
• Spoon batter in 1" or 2" diameter rounds, about 1/2" high on prepared baking sheets, allowing 1" in between each round.
• Bake 7-9 minutes for 1" cookies or 9-11 minutes for 2" cookies, or until tops are set.
• Cool completely on baking sheets on rack. Remove cooled cookies from baking sheets
• In medium mixing bowl beat butter and cream cheese until smooth.
• Fold in marshmallow creme.
• Dollop filling on flat sides of half the cookies.
• Top with remaining cookies, flat side down.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• To get round cookies, use a cookie or ice cream scoop.
* I used a medium cookie scoop.
• The whoopie pies should be refrigerated for at least half an hour to let the filling set.
• If storing in the refrigerator, let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
Whoopie pies can refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING