recent posts

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Guava Coconut Thumbprint Cookies



makes 30 cookies
recipe adapted from Ina Garten
prep time: 45 min / cook time: 20-25 min

INGREDIENTS
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
* I used salted butter
1 c sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp kosher salt
* I omitted the salt since I used salted butter
1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water, for egg wash
7 oz. sweetened flaked coconut
Raspberry and/or apricot jam

INSTRUCTIONS
• In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until they are just combined.
• Add vanilla.
• Separately, sift together the flour and salt.
• With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar.
• Mix until the dough starts to come together.
• Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disk.
* I rolled the dough into two disks because my dough was a little crumbly.
• Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
• Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
• Roll the dough into 1 1/4" balls.
* If you have a scale they should each weigh 1 oz.
• Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll it in coconut.
• Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger.
* I lined my cookie sheet with parchment paper.
• In a microwave or over the stove, heat jam until liquified.
• Drop 1/4 tsp of jam into each indentation.
• Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the coconut is golden brown.
• Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• Sifting the flour over parchment paper makes for easy pouring.
• Do not over fill with jam. The jam will spill out while baking.
• Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING

ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy! I just made these using Trader Joe's mango butter. I added a bit of lemon zest to it too.

Sami and Addie said...

Mango butter? I gotta pick up a jar on my next TJ run!

Post a Comment

 
Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.