makes 20 servings
recipe adapted from Serious Eats
prep time: 20 min / cook time: 5 min
51 salted saltine crackers
1 c unsalted butter
1 c dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c high quality dark chocolate chips (70% or greater)
1 c sliced almonds, toasted
• Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
• Line a 12x17" jelly roll pan with foil.
• Place saltine crackers salt side up and side-by-side in the pan as tightly as possible without overlapping. Set aside.
* Use saltine pieces to fill any gaps at the bottom of the pan.
• In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat stirring frequently with a spatula.
• Once butter has melted, add brown sugar and vanilla stirring to combine. Cook for about 5 minutes or until mixture is an even dark brown color and has begun to bubble.
• Remove from heat and pour over saltines using spatula to spread sauce.
• Bake crackers for 5 minutes or until butter mixture begins to bubble.
• Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with chocolate allowing the heat to melt the chocolate. Spread chocolate evenly with the spatula so all the crackers are completely covered.
• Refrigerate until chocolate sets and hardens. Break apart and serve.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTE **
• Some other toppings to try: coconut, chopped dry fruit, crumbled graham crackers, pretzels, bacon or other nuts.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING