makes 16 cookies
recipe adapted from Bon Appétit via Epicurious
prep time: 25 min / cook time: 15 min
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 lb bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
* I used 2 c mini semisweet mini chocolate chips
1/4 c unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 c (packed) brown sugar
* I used light brown sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract
5 (1.4 oz.) chocoalte-covered English toffee bars (such as Heath), coarsely chopped
* I didn't have Heath bars on hand, so I used 1 c toffee chips & 1 c bittersweet chocolate chips
1 c toasted walnuts, chopped
* I omitted the walnuts
Fleur de sel (optional)
• Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl; whisk to blend.
* I sifted the dry ingredients.
• Stir chocolate and butter on top of a double boiler set over simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove from over water. Cool mixture to lukewarm.
* I microwaved the chocolate and butter mixture in the microwave at 20 second intervals, stirring between each period. This took about 80 seconds.
• Using an electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs in bowl until thick, about 5 minutes.
• Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla.
• Stir in flour mixture, then toffee and nuts. (In my case, toffee and chocolate chips)
• Chill batter until firm, about 45 minutes.
• Preheat oven to 350˚F.
• Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper.
• Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto sheets, spacing 2 1/2 inches apart.
• Optional: Sprinkle a little fleur de sel on top of each cookie.
• Bake just until tops are dry and cracked but cookies are still soft to touch, about 15 minutes. Cool on sheets.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• Cookies can be made 2 days ahead. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
• These cookies spread a lot, so you will want to put about 6 cookies per pan OR make smaller cookies and reduce the baking time.
* Please note that my cookies were cut out with a cookie cutter due to the cookies spreading into each other.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING