makes 2 logs
recipe adapted from Beyond Kimchee
prep time: 30 min / cook time: 40-45 min
1 package of puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed to room temperature
2 c baking apples (about 2-3), cubed
* I used Cortland Apples, it's all I had on hand
1/2 c raisins
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp white sugar, divided
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 c chopped or ground nuts, walnut or almond
* I used pecans
2 tbsp light brown sugar
2 tbsp bread crumbs
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp water
• Preheat oven to375˚F.
• Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• Peel, core and chop apples into 1/2" cubes.
• Place apples, raisins, cinnamon, 2 tbsp white sugar and flour in a bowl. Set aside for 20 minutes so they can release their juices.
• In another bowl, combine nuts, 2 tbsp white sugar, light brown sugar and bread crumbs. Set aside.
• Roll out one sheet of puff pastry into about 10" x 12".
• Sprinkle 1/2 of the nut mixture onto the pastry covering halfway and place 1/2 of the apple mixture on top. Lift up the front** of the pastry and cover the apple and start rolling all the way. Finish the second sheet the with the same method. Pinch the ends of the logs and tuck under.
• Transfer the logs onto the prepared baking sheet seam side down.
• In a small bowl, beat the egg and water together. Brush the tops of the logs with the egg wash.
• Make a few slits on top for the steam to escape.
• Bake for 40-45 minutes until the crust gets golden brown. Let logs cool slightly.
Optioinal: Dust with powdered sugar and serve with ice cream.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTE **
• I had trouble rolling the dough since it got pretty thin when I rolled it out. Please see the photos from Beyond Kimchee.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING