I’ve been remiss. With posting, that is. Not that it’s a good excuse, but it got really busy at my job and before I knew it, the end of the year was here. So it’s nice to be back! And in the spirit of the New Year, here’s a list of my top 5 Samiwich & Addiecakes moments from 2011.
5. Cultivating a plot in my neighborhood community garden. Who knew that kale, beets and strawberries would grow in one of the city’s windiest, foggiest patches? Granted not in our plot specifically (we’re working on this), but it’s been a fun, inspiring experiment overall.
4. Not that I’m bitter, but last year’s entry into my cousin’s annual Cookie Contest yielded a piddly 4 votes. But thanks to Addiecakes' brilliant recipe, this year I took 2nd place! Her Chocolate Almond Crack (which I changed to “Snap Cracker Pop cookies” since I didn’t think it was nice to say “crack” around the holidays) is just that – uber-addicting and habit-forming. Plus, it couldn't be any easier - it begins with saltine crackers and literally takes 10 minutes.
3. Dear Poutine: You complete me. Love, Samiwich
2. If I had a superpower it would be time travel, and if I could travel back in time and relive one meal this year, it might just be the delightfully decadent dinner at Restaurant Gary Danko. Foie gras, roast lobster, pork belly, chocolate soufflé and the city’s best cheese course - with 5-star service and ambiance, to boot.
1. If there’s such a thing as a Bucket List for foodies, the annual Rib Fest in Sparks, NV should be on it. 5 days of barbecued meats, 24 competitive teams, half a million visitors, and countless puns about meat, butts and racks. Need I say more? Hands down, this was my favorite foodie moment from 2011.