makes 1 1/2 cups
recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
prep time: 10 min / cook time: 7-10 min
3 large egg yolks, room temperature
zest of 1/2 lemon
1/4 c freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
* I used Meyer lemons
6 tbsp sugar
* I used 5 tbsp
4 tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
• Combine yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Whisk to combine.
• Set over medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon, making sure to stir sides and bottom of pan.
• Cook until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 5-7 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat.
• Add the butter, one piece at a time, stirring with the wooden spoon until consistency is smooth.
• Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd to avoid a skin from forming; wrap tightly.
• Let cool; refrigerate until firm and chilled, at least 1 hour. Store refrigerated in an airtight container, up to 2 days.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• Meyer lemons are not as tart, so if you use other varieties be sure to taste the lemon juice before putting the full 6 tbsp. You may even need to add more sugar to cut the tartness.
• This is a great way to use up leftover lemons or other citrus fruits such as oranges or limes.
• If you cannot use up the curd in 2 days, you extend the shelf life by freezing it and thawing it in the refrigerator for 24 hours. After thawing, consume within 4 weeks.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING