makes 12 cupcakes
cupcake recipe adapted from Hershey's Kitchens
prep time: 25 min / cook time: 18-20 min
MATCHA CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 tbsp matcha powder
* If you want a more intense flavor, you can add more matcha powder
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter (1/2 stick), melted and cooled
1/2 c milk, room temperature
1 large egg, room temperature and lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c boiling water
WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING INGREDIENTS
2 c heavy whipping cream
2/3 c sugar
RED BEAN FILLING INGREDIENTS
2/3 c whipped cream frosting (see above)
1/3 c red bean frosting
MATCHA CUPCAKE INSTRUCTIONS
• Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350˚ F.
• Combine matcha powder, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
• Add butter, milk, egg and vanilla. Mix at medium speed for 2 minutes.
• Add boiling water and beat to combine.
* Batter will be thin.
• Evenly divide the batter into each cupcake tin and bake for 18-20 minutes.
• Let cool before assembly.
* The tops of the cupcakes will turn brown and ugly when they bake, but will remain green inside.
WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING INSTRUCTIONS
• Whip cream until it looks like whipped cream.
• Mix in sugar.
RED BEAN FILLING INSTRUCTION
• In a bowl, mix the whipped cream and red bean together.
* Add more whipped cream if you want it to be less dense.
• Using a paring knife, carve a small hole in the middle of the cupcake. Be sure not to cut too deep.
* You can use a spoon to gently remove more of the cupcake if needed.
• Using your favorite pastry tip, fill your pastry bag and pipe a small amount of red bean filling into the cupcake.
• Put the top back onto the cupcake and frost the top.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTES **
• If you don't want a domed top cupcake, fill the batter half way. You will end up with approximately 18-20 cupcakes.
• If you'd like your whipped cream to be stiffer, add a stabilizer such as Dr. Oetker's Whip it.
ADDIECAKES DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES TASTE RATING