makes 15 cupcakes
cupcake recipe adapted from America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
meringue recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
prep time: 45 min / cook time: 18-22 min
1 1/2 c cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
2/3 c sugar
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2/3 c buttermilk
LEMON CURD INGREDIENTS
3 c store bought lemon curd
If you want to make your own, use this recipe
3 large egg whites, room temperature
1/2 c + 2 tbsp sugar
• Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 325˚ F.
• Line muffin pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
• Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda together in a large bowl and set aside.
• Whisk the eggs, vanilla and lemon zest together in a large bowl.
• Slowly whisk in the sugar until combined.
• Whisk in the melted butter in three additions until completely combined.
• Whisk in buttermilk.
• Sift one-third of the flour mixture over the batter and whisk it in (a few streaks of flour should remain). Repeat twice with the remaining flour mixture and continue to whisk the batter gently until most lumps are gone. Do not over mix.
• Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full.
• Bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out with a few crumbs attached, 18-2 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
• Let the cupcakes cool in the pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove from the pans and let cool completely on the racks before frosting, about 1 hour.
• Combine egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl of a standing mixer over a pan of simmering water.
* To not let the bowl touch the water or you will get scrambled eggs!
• Whisk constantly by hand until mixture is warm to the touch and sugar has dissolved.
* Mixture should feel completely smooth when rubbed between your fingertips.
• Attach the bowl to the mixture fitted with the whisk attachment. Starting on low and gradually increasing to medium-high speed, whisk until stiff (but not dry) peaks form. Continue to mix until the mixture is fluffy and glossy and completely cooled (test by touching the bottom of the bowl), about 10 minutes.
• Using a paring knife, carve a small hole in the middle of the cupcake. Be sure not to cut too deep.
* You can use a spoon to gently remove more of the cupcake if needed.
• Fill the cupcake with lemon curd.
• Put the top back onto the cupcake and frost the top with the meringue. With a brûlée torch, carefully torch the meringue.
** ADDIECAKES' NOTE **
• This recipe has been halved from the original recipe.
ADDIECAKES' DIFFICULTY RATING
ADDIECAKES' TASTE RATING